Every Linksys wireless range extender comes with a CD inside the box which consists of the instructions on how to set up the device. However, what if a user does not receive a CD? Will he be able to complete the configuration process by referring to the technical steps given in the user manual? Surely a non-tech-savvy person cannot.
In case you are also one of those users who have no idea as to how to perform Linksys extender setup without CD, then this is the post for you. Here, we have mentioned the detailed methods through which installing the networking device will become a piece of cake for you, even if you are someone who is not familiar with the technical terminology. Taking this into consideration, continue reading.
How to Perform Linksys Extender Setup without CD?
1. WPS Method
This is the first and the easiest method to perform Linksys extender setup without CD, i.e. WPS. In this method, the utmost requirement is that the host router should have a WPS button located on it. Otherwise, you cannot use this method.
Follow these instructions and learn how to configure the extender using the WPS method:
- Press the WPS button on the Linksys wireless range extender at the side panel.
- Do the same on the host router and wait for 30 seconds.
- As soon as the WPS LED light has turned solid, change the location of the extender.
- Log in to the extender and select WIRELESS > WPS.
- Locate the WPS button on the client device and press it.
- If the web-based setup page looks like the image below, click WPS under WIRELESS.
- Click ENABLED FOR WPS after that.
In this manner, you will be able to wrap up the Linksys extender setup without CD process. In case you got stuck during it, implement the next method.
2. Manual Method
This method is no doubt lengthy but has brought setup success to a number of users as compared to WPS method. Taking this into account, follow the guidelines mentioned in this section and learn how to manually configure your device:
- Reset the Linksys wireless extender first if you are using a second hand extender.
- To do so, press and hold the RESET button located at the top panel for 5 seconds.
- Once the light starts blinking, consider it as a sign that the device has been restored.
- Right after you are done resetting the extender, connect it to the computer.
- This can be done with the help of an Ethernet cable. Refer to the following image.
- Plug the extender into a wall socket and make sure that the LED becomes solid.
- Open an internet browser on the PC and enter the IP or web address of the extender.
- The IP address of the extender is 192.168.1.1 and web address is extender.linksys.com.
- Press the Enter key to proceed further.
- The dialog box asking for a username and password will appear automatically.
- This will only happen if your PC has defined a default startup page on the browser.
- Leave the USER NAME field BLANK and enter ADMIN in the PASSWORD field.
- Select the LOG IN button. The EXTENDER.LINKSYS.COM SETUP page will appear.
- Hit WIRELESS > BASIC WIRELESS SETTINGS.
- Set the radio button to MANUAL then enter the NETWORK NAME [SSID].
- Select the security settings under the WIRELESS SECURITY section.
- Enter the PASSPHRASE or WEP KEY, and click the SAVE SETTINGS button.
Now, unplug the power cables of the router as well the extender for about 30 SECONDS. Plug in the router first. Wait for the LED lights to become stable. Then, plug in the Linksys extender. Your extender is in sync with the router.
Is the Linksys Extender Successfully Installed?
In order to ensure that the Linksys range extender is successfully installed, access the DHCP table of the router and see if the extender is listed there with its IP address. Thereafter, ping the extender using your PC and check if you are able to get replies from it.
This ends the guide written on how to perform Linksys extender setup without CD in a happy-go-lucky manner. Now, you are free to gain access to a blazing-fast internet connection on all your client devices.